The CVWG dedicates this page for useful links, tips and others resources that novice to advanced turners may find useful.
- Wood turning is the process of creating functional or artistic objects by using tools to shape a turning piece of wood. Wood turning can produce bedposts, stair rail spindles, balustrades, table legs, and finials. Wood-turning skills can also be used to produce bowls and even pens. Safe wood turning is important to ensure that you use the tools carefully and correctly. With practice and attention to detail, this hobby can produce rewarding results.
- YouTube is a virtually university of wood turning education. Just a simple search using “wood turning” will get you started. Some popular turner channels on YouTube are: Cap’n Eddie Castelin, Carl Jachobson , Sam Angelo and Bob Hamilton
- Although Alan’s Factory Outlet is a commercial site for garages, shed etc, it has a lot of information on the basics of wood turning.
- A Circle Cutting Jig that you can Build by Fred Holder
- Woodturners Resource. A fairly active wood turning message board and ALOT of other resources for turning enthusiasts, so be sure to check out the other options of this website. Free registration required to view image downloads on message board.
Tutorials from Alan CarterAlan Carter of Lisle, IL provided demos and workshops at the CVWG clubhouse in March of 2013 and graciously allowed us to share some of the tutorials he has developed.
- Sawmill Creek. One of the more active boards around. Message board has pages for many other wood working specialties. Like the Woodturners Resource besure to check out the rest of the web page for their many resources. Free registration required to view image downloads on message board.
- Small Goblets
- Creating Thin Stems
- Split Bowls
- A Homemade Caliper
- Lathe Mounted Drilling Fixture
- Stuff Every Shop Should Have
How to make your own Kiln for Drying Wood by Larry ZubkeInformation from CVWG members
The Band Saw -The Lathe’s best supporting Actor by Mark Palma
Everything you wanted to know about setup, safety, cutting bowl blanks and how turners use the band saw
Sanding and Scraping (The Unspoken Taboo of Woodturners) by Mark F Palma
Shop Tour, Tips and other Musings by Mark Palma Video – 2 hour 16 Minutes